Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a broad scope of professional accounting activities
requiring experienced, professional knowledge and application of
accounting principles and practices. Performs a wide range of
detailed/complex accounting and advisory functions pertaining to
assigned fund area, accounts or department and assures day-to-day
operations are carried out in accordance with established accounting
principles, policies and objectives. Assigned function is relatively
stable and well established.
second in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the Accountant Associate in that incumbents typically perform a
wider variety of duties of greater complexity and diversity.
Incumbents work relatively independently and exercise professional
judgement within assigned function and lead other lower level staff.
It is distinguished from the Accountant Senior in that incumbents
usually consult the Accountant Senior for advice and assistance and
are not responsible for a function as specialized or complex in
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares standard accounting reports and statements and also
non-standard reports and statements, such as detailed cost and
financial analyses, forecasts and projections reflecting
interrelationships of accounting data; prepares or assists in
preparation of special accounting studies.
- Interprets data and points out trends or deviations from
- Identifies informational needs of management and revises or
refines account structures or data accordingly.
- Prepares intricate journal entries, maintains complex
ledgers, prepares detailed cost accounting information, and
reconciles and analyzes reports and ledgers.
- Decides proper handling of financial transactions; approves
transactions within designated limits.
- Provides solutions to problems presented by lower level
staff and recommends changes to accounting system, methods or
procedures to management, utilizing knowledge of accounting
principles and practices.
- Interprets accounting data, analyzes reports and recommends
action to be taken.
- Advises and counsels on complex accounting matters to
department and/or university staff.
- Implements changes in procedures affecting assigned
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting
principles and university regulations.
- Reviews computer reports for errors or inconsistencies;
investigates and corrects problem.
- Keeps informed by researching and evaluating appropriate
professional and related legal literature as assigned.
- Provides training to campus users as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and
- Knowledge of basic leadership practices.
- Skill in performing detailed numerical computations.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in the use of computer hardware and software.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related field and one year of
professional accounting experience; OR, Five years' professional
accounting experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Accountant Associate Job Description