Applications Systems Analyst Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
organizes, and directs multiple or large project teams involving all
phases of work on major or multiple computer systems.
third in a series of three classifications. Incumbents supervise and
control the analysis, design, development, and implementation of
major system applications and enhancements. This class is
distinguished from senior analysts in that the incumbents coordinate
multiple projects and activities of the senior analysts working
within a department, unit or specific system.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Plans, directs, organizes, and schedules system analysis
functions of project leaders and other subordinates; allocates
resources including personnel and equipment based on priorities
as established by the system users.
- Coordinates and oversees the design, development and
implementation of software applications.
- Confers with and assists computing personnel, vendors and/or
manufacturers' representatives in resolving complex procedural,
operational and technical problems.
- Establishes and controls quality and quantity standards,
procedures, and guidelines for design, development, testing,
implementation and maintenance of application software.
- Evaluates hardware and software products, and programming
languages to determine their applicability to the system and/or
- Completes various reports and summaries for management
and/or users including status reports, problems, progress
summaries, and system utilization reports.
- Develops alternate project plans, problem resolutions, and
budget projections based on user needs, financial, and personnel
constraints; makes recommendations to users.
- Answers questions and provides technical assistance and/or
training to team members and system users.
- Reviews and analyzes system problems including system
documentation and production output to identify solutions and/or
make appropriate referrals.
- Participates in the development of system and programming
- Modifies and/or writes program code and/or job control
language as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices developments and
techniques used in systems analysis and applications
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of data
- Skill in the use of programming and job control languages
specific to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in planning, organizing and directing project work to
meet desired objectives.
- Skill in leading the work activities of others.
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND five
years of systems and/or programming experience, including one year
lead experience; OR, Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or
related field AND four years of systems and/or programming
experience, including one year of lead experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Applications Systems Analyst Senior Job Description