Automotive Mechanic Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Repairs, overhauls, and maintains vehicles/farm equipment. This is a
journey level position.
third in a series of six classifications.Working conditions include
restricted movement, dirty environment, air contamination, intense
noise, hazardous materials, lifting or carrying heavy objects.
Examples of Duties:
- Overhauls and repairs engines and transmissions on gas and
- Performs tune-ups on vehicles.
- Overhauls, repairs, and/or replaces other vehicle parts such
as parts on steering and brake systems.
- Replaces shock absorbers, checks and balances wheels, and
checks for proper tire alignment.
- Performs diversified electrical work on all automotive and
related equipment, such as servicing, installing batteries and
terminals, repairing and adjusting lights, and repairing
generators and starters.
- Uses diagnostic equipment as an aid in locating vehicle
- Troubleshoots and repairs or replaces digital electronic
components and computers.
- Fabricates and/or reconstructs equipment by using gas, arc,
NIG or TIG welding methods.
- Performs emission control repair, replacement, and testing
on all required vehicles.
- Road tests vehicles to locate operational defects prior to
returning to active use.
- Drives buses and other vehicles for special events or field
trips as needed.
- Overhauls, repairs, and maintains heavy equipment which may
include tractors, crawlers, and the like.
- Operates shop machines, such as milling and metal lathes, to
rebuild or fabricate machine parts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment diagnosis and
- Skill in the diagnosis and repair of automotive, heavy
equipment, or farm equipment.
- Skill in operating shop tools and machines.
- Skill in modifying, designing, and fabricating special
years' experience in the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of
automobiles and/or farm equipment; OR, Completion of a one year
vocational training program in automotive or farm mechanics AND
three years' experience in the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of
automobiles, and/or farm equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills, and abilities have been achieved. Some positions may require
possession of a current Arizona Type D/B/C driver's license upon
employment. May be required to obtain a current Arizona Emissions
Next: Automotive Mechanic Lead Job Description