Client Advocate Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
as a caseworker and advocate for disabled children and their
families, as part of an interdisciplinary team for a general medical
screening and assessment program for children suspected of
developmental delays. Assessment team is comprised of the Medical
Assessment Coordinator, Psychologist, Speech Pathologist and
Physical Therapist. Incumbent assists parents in obtaining
appropriate services for their child.
a specialized class and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Serves as client advocate and informs parents of their
rights under the law.
- Assists parents, offering support and information regarding
the testing their child is about to complete, or has already
- Makes a follow-up home visit or telephone call to answer any
questions the parents may have and provides information in
regards to what services and programs are available for their
- Assists parents in obtaining appropriate on-going services
by contacting the provider agency to enroll the child in the
- Writes reports on parent conferences and sends to
- Assists in parent/care giver training for selected clients,
helping to implement a behavior management program in the home.
- Plans and facilitates parent support group meetings.
- Obtains current information on specific disabling conditions
to use as resource material.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and professional
standards in the field of social work.
- Skill in individual and/or group counseling, caseload
management and delivery of direct social services.
Bachelorís degree in Behavioral Science or related field AND one
year experience working with children and their families; OR, Five
years social work or related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Collections Specialist Job Description