Computer Documentation Specialist Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Oversees the development, writing, organizing, revising and
maintaining of computer related publications.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the second in that it serves as documentation project leader
coordinating documentation needs and development for large complex
systems, and provides assistance to clients to help evaluate their
particular needs. Incumbents outline documentation projects,
distribute work to lower level specialists, and provide reference
services for documentation.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Develops publication standards for style, design, format,
typography, and graphic content.
- Meets with users, project leaders and management to discuss
and plan guidelines and criteria for documentation of a system
- Analyzes work procedures, policies, and operational methods
to determine publication needs and make recommendations for the
development of appropriate documents.
- Reviews and evaluates third-party documentation and computer
literature for acquisition.
- Tests, evaluates, and recommends computer software or
hardware for acquisition and application within the publications
- Plans, develops and presents training programs for users of
on-line systems and office automation.
- Creates on line software documentation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computing principles and basic computing
terminology used in describing procedures for using mainframes
and microcomputer applications.
- Knowledge of production specifications necessary for the
creation and preparation of audio-visual presentations.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in technical writing and editing for an academic
- Skill in the design, layout, typesetting and graphic
requirements for printing.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Sciences,
Communications or related field AND two years of experience in
technical documentation; OR, Four years of experience in computer
and/or technical documentation; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Graphic Artist Job Description