Computing Site Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates and monitors operation of computing equipment and
peripherals at computing site locations. Observes machine and
control panel on computer consoles for error messages, machine
stoppage or faulty output.
first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Senior in that incumbents do not supervise.
Examples of Duties:
- Answers questions from site and telephone customers
regarding hardware and/or software; assists customers at counter
with minor problems and refers questions to appropriate
- Analyzes error messages, machine malfunctions, stops,
programs and job control language information to determine
source of problem and/or identify appropriate referral.
- Confers with systems, technical and programming personnel to
resolve complex procedural or technical problems.
- Trains and oversees work of student employees and staff in
all facets of the operation and control of equipment.
- Operates supporting peripheral equipment as required and
performs routine maintenance on computer hardware equipment;
reviews printouts to ensure quality standards are met.
- Composes reports related to staffing, operations and
equipment, and operation recommendations as well as statistical
reports summarizing overall activities.
- Documents activities and events occurring at computing site
during shift and policies and procedures affecting operations
- Monitors site supplies such as ribbons, forms, and ink to
determine need for ordering stock; picks up and delivers
computer materials and other related items.
- Safeguards equipment and property following standard
computer operations security procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
- Knowledge of job control languages appropriate to the
- Knowledge of the operational standards and computer security
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year of experience in the operation of computer equipment
appropriate to the assignment which includes six months working with
system users; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Computing Site Operator Supervisor Job Description