Custodian Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
classrooms, dorm rooms, lab rooms, and offices of assigned buildings
on the University campus. This classification is entry level.
Working conditions include restricted movement, dirty environment,
lifts or carries heavy objects.
first in a series of five classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Custodian Lead.
Examples of Duties:
- Sweeps, mops, polishes, and strips floors in rooms and
- Dusts and/or polishes furniture, blinds, and equipment.
- Cleans restrooms and fills dispensers.
- Vacuums, spot cleans, and/or shampoos rugs, carpets, and
furniture using commercial-type vacuum cleaners and shampooing
- Reports malfunction of bathroom fixtures, light fixtures,
and/or damages to room and hall furnishings to supervisor.
- Stocks area with appropriate supplies.
- Locks and unlocks doors as directed.
- Initiates work orders for repair/maintenance.
- Moves furniture, equipment, or fixtures as required.
- Washes dishes or utensils as required.
- May shovel and remove snow and ice from designated areas
such as sidewalks, entryways, and roofs as required.
- May replace light bulbs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques and
- Skill in using cleaning products and equipment.
- Skill in following verbal and written instructions.
year of custodial experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills,
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Custodian Lead Job Description