Data Input Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and verifies data from source documents. Employees in this
classification are responsible for input of data pertaining to a
particular program or project.
first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Data Input Operator Senior in that this is the entry level in
the series and the emphasis is on simple data input and
manipulation. Employees may log and correct source documents and
perform limited interpretation, manipulation and/or coding of data
or information to include researching historic data or running
Examples of Duties:
- Enters records, pre-coded or open format data from source
documents onto tapes,discs or into on-line terminals.
- Verifies entered data manually and/or visually.
- Logs source documents in and out to record data and time.
- Detects data entry errors and decides corrective action.
- Run routine reports with updated and/or current data.
- Codes and/or corrects codes of input data as needed.
- Reviews source documents to determine accuracy and
completeness of information; follows up to correct or complete
- Updates records to include deleting, changing, or adding
data to files.
- Files source documents.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of typing and data entry procedures and methods.
- Skill in performing data entry operations.
months' experience operating data entry equipment which includes the
completion of a three month training program in the operation of
data entry equipment OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Data Input Operator Senior Job Description