Engineer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
more of the following: 1) In a supervisory capacity: Plans,
develops, coordinates, and directs a large engineering project or a
number of small projects with many complex features. A substantial
portion of the work supervised is comparable to that described for
an Engineer. 2) As an individual researcher or worker: Carries out
complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or
improved techniques and procedures. Work is expected to result in
the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes,
projects and/or scientific methods. 3) As a staff specialist:
Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects
and activities to be carried out by others. Assesses the feasibility
and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products, or
equipment when data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is
advisable. Usually performs as a staff advisor and consultant to a
technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program
fourth in a series of five classifications and is distinguished from
the Engineer in that supervision and guidance relate largely to
overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts and policy
matters. Incumbents consult with supervisor concerning unusual
problems and developments.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans and creates or monitors the design of engineered
systems, components, or equipment.
- Coordinates with faculty researchers and/or other
engineering personnel to define broad research objectives and
ascertain the nature of complex research problems.
- Oversees the analysis or analyzes research problems,
requirements and objectives; organizes and manages the
adaptation of engineering principles in the solution of problems
for the development of new techniques, instrumentation and/or
- Directs and coordinates construction, testing and
installation activities to ensure conformance to engineering
design and specifications.
- Coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair activities to
maintain optimum utilization of equipment or systems.
- Provides design concepts and oversees design by consulting
Architects and/or Engineers; recommends design modifications or
alterations as required.
- Monitors budget, staffing, and cost control for each
- Writes research papers on projects for publication and
presents papers at conferences.
- Supervises and coordinatesthe work activities of a small
staff of engineers and technicians.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of equipment and systems appropriate to related
- Skill in applying engineering principles and practices.
- Skill in engineering design applications.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field AND five years of
engineering or related experience; OR, Nine years of engineering or
related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Engineering Aide Job Description