Exhibit Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in preparing exhibit concept, formalizing design plan and
constructing exhibit for display of artifacts, data, artwork and
first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Senior level in that incumbents in this classification do not
possess management responsibility for museum exhibit preparation.
This is distinguished from the Curatorial Specialist series in that
the primary purpose is exhibit preparation as opposed to research,
cataloging and preservation.
Examples of Duties:
- Installs displays from traveling exhibitions; designs
construction of exhibit including development of floor plan,
determination of lighting requirements and placement of objects;
packs and unpacks display objects and hangs paintings according
to specific guidelines.
- Maintains exhibit by checking physical condition of exhibit
and determining when upgrading is required.
- Prepares graphics for signs and other visual presentations
for exhibits according to intended audience.
- Packs and unpacks display objects and hangs paintings
according to specific guidelines.
- Prepares graphics for exhibits such as signs, banners,
murals, labels and schematics.
- Assists in handling valuable and irreplaceable artifacts in
accordance to curatorial guidelines and standards; builds
display mounts to support exhibit pieces.
- Assists in maintaining workshop supplies and equipment;
orders supplies as needed according to established department
procedures; performs minor repairs on equipment.
- Inspects exhibits for damage; assists in adjusting and/or
reconstructing exhibits as needed.
- Assists in preparation for special events.
- Coordinates activities of subordinates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of curatorial guidelines and standards for
- Skill in operation and maintenance of various workshop
- Skill in verbal, written and visual communication.
- Skill in leading or coordinating the work of others.
Bachelor's Degree in museum studies or related field; OR, Four
years' experience in design and building trades, which includes two
years' experience in exhibit design and construction; OR Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Exhibit Specialist Senior Job Description