Exhibit Specialist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Establishes exhibits concept, formalizes design plan and constructs
exhibit for display of artifacts, data, artwork and memorabilia.
Work is performed in conjunction with educators, scientists,
administrators and curators.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Exhibit Specialist by managerial and/or design responsibility
for the museum exhibit. This classification is distinguished from
the Curatorial Specialist series in that the primary purpose is
exhibit design and preparation as opposed to research, cataloging
Examples of Duties:
- Designs construction of exhibit, including development of
floor plan, determination of lighting requirements, object
placement, exhibit casings, locking and security systems, and
- Determines methodology in converting an assortment of
materials into a visual effect that is instantly accepted and
understood by the museum visitor.
- Constructs temporary and permanent exhibits using a variety
of materials; fabricates exhibit sets, props and furniture as
- Prepares budget for fabrication shop, gallery lighting and
- Coordinates detailed planning and specifications for
scheduled exhibits and events; organizes logistics such as
shipping, handling and insurance of exhibit pieces.
- Trains and supervises volunteers, research assistants and
students in methodology of graphic arts, fabrication techniques,
shop policies and procedures and use of tools.
- Produces specific plans using computer systems.
- Identifies themes and areas of interest and evaluates
audience response; inspects exhibits for damage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of curatorial guidelines and standards for
- Knowledge and skill in museum exhibit methodology and
- Skill in operation and maintenance of various workshop tools
- Skill in verbal, written and visual communication.
Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies or related field AND two years'
experience in design and building trades or exhibit design and
construction; OR, Six years experience in design and building trades
which include two years experience in exhibit design and
construction; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Facilities Coordinator Job Description