Graphic Designer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Prepares a variety of skilled graphic design and layout work in
preparation of various posters, exhibits, advertisements, slides,
brochures, books, newsletters and flyers using various production
techniques which may include computer graphic systems and software.
Designs electronic and printed materials for a variety of university
publications, displays and other media as appropriate. Incumbents in
this classification work independently within established deadlines
inherent to graphic design industry.
classification is the third in a series of four classifications and
is distinguished from the second level in that the work performed is
more complex and requires specialized knowledge of methods and
techniques of graphic design and layout.
Examples of Duties:
- Designs, illustrates and prepares printing layouts for
various annual reports, information pamphlets, instructional
aids, brochures, books, newsletters and other departmental
publications and printed material; may design a book as a staff
member of a publishing house.
- Designs, illustrates and prepares advertising layouts,
billboards, posters, exhibits, flyers, letterheads, logos,
certificates, forms and other promotional materials.
- Creates electronically designed page layouts and imports
word processing files into page layouts; may develop web based
- Prepares sketches, renderings, drawings, cover illustrations
and various artwork involving mechanical and freehand drawing
- Establishes characteristics and configurations for book or
annual report designs including typeface, type size, size of
artwork, placement of graphs and tables, length of page.
- Performs photography and photo processing as required.
- Coordinates with clients requesting graphic design or layout
work; develops ideas, suggests new or modifies existing ideas;
demonstrates graphic techniques and advises other departmental
personnel on techniques and methods to use.
- Prepares printing specifications for print shop; obtains
bids and recommends contract awards; maintains contact with
vendors to ensure adherence to time schedules and
- Coordinates production; proofs typesetting and printing for
adherence to specifications; determines if quality standards
have been met.
- Maintains department inventory by ordering or requisitioning
graphic art supplies and equipment according to department
- Prepares cost estimates for persons requesting graphic art
services; maintains accurate records of work in progress for
billing and department records.
- May coordinate and lead the work of others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computer-generated graphics programs.
- Knowledge and skill in graphic design and layout.
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements.
- Knowledge of photography and photo processing techniques.
- Skill in rendering, illustrating and sketching and in
interpreting messages into visual and metaphorical form.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in the utilization of specified computerized graphic
Bachelor's degree in Graphic Art or related field AND three years
experience in graphic design and layout, illustration, or commercial
art; OR, Seven years experience in graphic design and layout,
illustration, or commercial art; OR, Any equivalent combination of
education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Graphic Designer Supervisor Job Description