Human Resources Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
or administers the development and coordination of a specialized
university-wide Human Resource activity. Performs work of
considerable difficulty in the management, planning and development
of activities for one or one specialized human resources functions;
conducts research analysis and studies major issues and problems and
enhances services; ensures human resources procedures and other
operations are consistent with current laws and university policy.
Develops, plans, and implements Department goals and objectives.
fourth in a series of four classifications and is responsible for
supervising a specialized university-wide human resources activity
and/or for major program administration/management for a
university-wide human resources activity.
Examples of Duties:
- May supervise a professional human resource staff in the
coordination of a specialized university-wide Human Resources
- Plans, directs, organizes, the analysis, activities, and
preparation of specialized human resources systems, procedures,
- Establishes human resources procedures and operations
consistent with current laws and university policies; studies
and evaluates current procedures and recommends changes.
- Conducts various cost analyses relative to human resources
budgetary planning control.
- Serves as liaison with university management and staff to
discuss and resolve a variety of human resources issues such as
staffing, reorganization, policy and rule interpretation and
related personnel issues.
- Conducts research, analysis and studies to address major
issues and problems related to a specialized human resource area
and recommends or initiates programs or actions to resolve
problems and enhance services; develops databases, gathers and
analyzes trends and data; prepares reports and formulates
recommendations regarding specialized human resources
- Plans, develops and recommends new or revised human resource
policies and programs to meet the operating needs of the
university and the needs of its employees.
- Analyzes and evaluates the impact of proposed legislation
and rule changes; assists in the establishment of institutional
human resources policies, rules, and procedures.
- Develops program proposals and procedures and interprets and
applies diverse policies, rules and regulations to maximize the
efficiency and effectiveness of Human Resources Department
- Participates in the planning and development of the Human
Resources Departmental budget; reviews and recommends controls
to the approved budget.
- Provides internal/external training both orally and in
writing on human resources systems, procedures and practices.
- Serves on various university committees as representative of
the Human Resources Department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the procedures, principles, theories, and
practices of human resources administration in the areas of
employment, compensation, classification, employee relations,
employee development/training, and organizational development.
- Knowledge of federal and state statutes related to human
resources and affirmative action.
- Knowledge of concepts and methods utilized in the total
quality improvement process.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and
- Knowledge of electronic data processing as it applies to
human resources/fiscal automated applications.
- Knowledge and skill in planning, coordinating, scheduling
and administering complex services, and project management.
- Skill in preparing an analyzing complex numerical
computations and comprehensive reports.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing good working relationships and
conflict resolution across organizational lines.
Bachelor's degree in HR Management or Business Administration or
related field AND six years of human resource administration
experience which includes one year in the area of assignment and one
year of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Human Resources Specialist Job Description