Lifeguard Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Oversees the aquatic complex, ensuring the safety of the patrons in
the swimming area.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. This class
typically reports to the Aquatic Coordinator.
Examples of Duties:
- Monitors activities at the pool to prevent accidents.
- Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning.
- Administers First Aid.
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety
hazards; enforces and adheres to pool rules and regulations.
- Follows emergency action plan and procedures established in
the event of an emergency.
- Maintains order in the pool and adjoining areas.
- Inspects facilities for cleanliness; completes general pool
cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Responsible for the availability and safekeeping of
emergency equipment (rescue tubes, backboard, signs and other
- Determines chlorine content and pH value of water, using
water testing kit, and record readings.
- Provides general information on pool operation to patrons.
- Teaches swimming lessons.
- Completes required paperwork.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of pool equipment and maintenance.
- Knowledge of lifesaving methods and procedures, including
first aid and standard resuscitation measures.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations governing conduct of the
public at pools.
- Knowledge of swimming pool sanitation and chlorination
- Skilled in the application of lifesaving techniques.
- Skilled in swimming.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to perform rescue actions, administer first aid and
possess current Lifeguard Training and/or Community First Aid
Training Instructor, AND Professional Rescuer Cardiopulmonary (CPR)
certificate upon employment.
Next: Lighting Technician Job Description