Materials Handling Supervisor Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Directs, plans and coordinates workers and activities of assigned
area or division of a warehouse or storage operation.
fifth in a series of six classifications. It is distinguished from
the Materials Handler Supervisor in that incumbents exercise
management responsibilities over one or more major areas/divisions
of a warehouse/stores operation and typically have those at the
supervisory level as subordinate reporting to it. Incumbents
generally perform duties under own initiative and exercise authority
for independent decision-making affecting assigned area or division.
May also manage the property control system within work unit and
purchase equipment, materials, furniture or other supplies. Disposes
of damaged, used or surplus property appropriately.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Establishes goals and objectives for assigned area to meet
overall department goals; develops and implements new and
revised methods or procedures to improve efficiency and help
- Analyzes operational issues to determine the most effective
and efficient use of all resources.
- Plans and schedules tasks over the short and long range to
determine priorities and assign work.
- Compiles and prepares reports for management regarding area
operations and financial matters; incorporates information
submitted by subordinate supervisors.
- Controls inventory levels and coordinates and organizes
annual inventory counts for assigned area/division.
- Advises and instructs subordinates in all aspects of work;
ensures adherence to university and safety policies and
- Ensures accurate, complete records are kept regarding
consumption, cost, selling price, stock levels and other data.
- Resolves customer complaints and questions and inventory
problems presented by subordinate staff.
- Provides input and monitors budget for assigned
- Assesses needs and requirements of the university and
vendors; implements programs and services to meet them.
- Manages property control system. Assigns numbers, tags and
ensures appropriate documentation of location, description and
- Maintains inventory levels; purchases equipment materials,
furniture or other supplies in accordance with budget and
priorities; prepares bid specifications and works with
appropriate staff and vendors to obtain required items/prices
and resolve any questions or conflicts.
- Determines disposition of used or damaged property and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of shipping/receiving practices, policies and
- Knowledge of merchandise handling and production methods.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
years of shipping/receiving/stores experience, which includes one
year supervisory experience; OR, Associate's degree in Business
Administration AND four years of shipping/receiving/stores
experience, which includes one year supervisory experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Materials Manager Job Description