Pharmacy Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Pharmacist by typing prescription labels, stocking the shelves,
answering the telephone and taking inventories.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Receives prescriptions from patients and verifies that
required information is on the form.
- Types prescription labels which include information such as
patient name, clinician's name, name of medication, and dosage
instructions; gives to pharmacist to review.
- Receives and places incoming supplies on shelves, tagging
and pricing each item according to directions.
- Rotates stock, moving older medication to the front of the
shelf so it is used before expiration date.
- Compiles daily statistics such as number of patients
requesting prescriptions, new prescriptions received, and number
of refill orders.
- Answers telephone calls, providing general information, and
routing other calls to appropriate party.
- Assists Pharmacist with inventory by counting drugs and
- Maintains records of prescription, laboratory, and x-ray
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in using office equipment such as typewriter, copier,
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year' clerical experience; OR, One year' pharmacy supply experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Pharmacy Technician Job Description