Photographer Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Produces photographs for faculty, staff or other clients of photo
processing services. Trains photo laboratory personnel in operation
of equipment and photo processing techniques. Consults and advises
patrons on services provided.
second in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the higher levels in that incumbents primarily perform duties
related to photo processing.
Examples of Duties:
- Evaluates work and determines processing techniques for
color and black and white film; processes film using standard or
specialized techniques based on quality and type of film;
operates various types of photo processing equipment.
- Confers with client to determine needs; ascertains if
request is feasible and offers alternative methods to meet
- Performs photographic copy work in order to make various
types of photographic prints and slides; operates film
processor, enlarger and contact printers.
- Retouches black and white prints to ensure optimal print
- Trains personnel and/or student workers in operation of
photographic laboratory equipment and photo processing.
- Maintains photographic laboratory equipment and ensures
adequate stocking of laboratory supplies.
- Photographs or assists photographer in photographing a
variety of assignments such as portraits or team pictures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques, principles and equipment of modern
photography including still, motion, color and black and white
- Knowledge of film properties and their suitability for
general and specialized photography.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Completion of a two year photography vocational training program
and/or photo laboratory processing experience AND one year related
experience; OR, Three years photography and/or photo laboratory
processing experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Photographer Principal Job Description