Police Aide Lead Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Schedules and leads work of assigned police aides in maintaining
security and safety of people and property in assigned area of
campus. Trains other police aides.
second in a series of three classifications that support certified
peace officers. It is distinguished from the Police Aide in that
incumbents typically perform a wider variety of duties of greater
complexity and diversity. Incumbents work relatively independently
and exercise professional judgment within assigned function and lead
other staff. Incumbents typically have a higher skill/experience
level within assigned function and exercise more independence. It is
distinguished from the Police Aide, Supervisor in that it does not
have supervisory duties.
Examples of Duties:
- Trains new personnel and contributes to performance
evaluations of other staff.
- Schedules shifts, shift coverage and oversees, coordinates
and monitors work of Police Aides.
- Coordinates activity with Room and Course Scheduling,
building monitors and other campus departments.
- Writes reports, proposals, policies; participates in group
discussions, makes decisions and expresses point of view
logically and clearly.
- Patrols campus in marked department vehicles. May also
patrol campus on foot or bicycle.
- Daily patrolling of campus area checking for fires,
vandalism, suspicious activity or persons, safety/fire hazards
and reports circumstances to campus police unit for correction
or follow up.
- Locks and unlocks campus buildings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic security or police procedures.
- Skill to lead the work of others.
- Skill in observing situations and decision-making.
- Skill in dealing courteously with public.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
year of experience as Police Aide or related security field; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Possession of a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon
Next: Police Aide Supervisor Job Description