Printing Equipment Operator Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates a variety of offset printing presses and related equipment
in order to produce printed material based on specifications of job
order. Produces burn plates for jobs.
second in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from
the Printing Equipment Operator in that incumbents in this
classification are required to operate a variety of printing
equipment and jobs assigned are more complex such as in the use of
multi-colored materials. Incumbents in this classification will be
exposed to adverse noise levels and must perform work within
established deadlines inherent to the printing industry.
Examples of Duties:
- Adjusts and sets up printing presses or related equipment
dependent on job assigned and job specifications; mixes ink,
selects appropriate paper stock, adjusts machine according to
thickness of paper and maintains appropriate chemical/solution
- Operates a variety of printing/press equipment including
multi-colored machines in production of printed materials.
- Burns and develops plates if original copy needs reduction
including determining length of exposure and placement of copy
- Responds to problems with jobs and provides expertise in
correcting problems and answering job related questions
regarding process, machines or materials for other operators.
- Maintains accurate records of work in progress such as
amount of time and materials required to complete job.
- Examines completed jobs to determine if quality standards
- Cleans printing equipment and performs preventative
maintenance on equipment as needed; responds to equipment
breakdowns and performs minor repairs of equipment.
- Operates various bindery equipment such as folder or
stapler, and assists with packaging jobs as needed.
- Monitors level of printing/duplicating supplies and orders
according to established department procedure.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of ink, paper and chemicals used in printing and
- Knowledge and skill in operation of larger printing presses
and equipment including multi-colored machines.
- Skill in following both verbal and written instructions.
Completion of a vocational training program AND two years experience
in operation of printing presses and related equipment; OR, Two and
one-half years experience in the operation of printing presses and
related equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Procedures Analyst Job Description