Proofreader Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Proofreads and edits articles, manuscripts and various types of
copy. Reviews material for grammatical errors and style consistency.
Formats text on a word processor. This is a specialized
classification and not part of a series.
description is intended to indicate the kinds of duties and
responsibilities that may be required of employees given this title.
It shall not be construed as determining what the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not
intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign,
direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Examples of Duties:
- Reads and evaluates material for grammatical errors and
- Confers with writers and/or editors to resolve problems or
- Formats text on a word processor.
- Maintains list of material to be edited while it is being
- Maintains and updates mailing lists.
- Maintains schedule of deadlines for printing and mailing
projects and makes printing and mailing arrangements.
- Assists in compiling and formatting bibliographies; performs
basic library research related to project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of language skills necessary for proofreading and
editing written material.
- Knowledge of publication formats.
years of experience proofreading or editing text; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Property Control Supervisor Job Description