Research/Laboratory Aide Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of non-technical and a limited number of routine
technical laboratory and/or field duties. Duties include washing
glassware, preparing solutions and media, and/or collecting field
specimens for research purposes.
second in a series of seven classifications and is distinguished
from Research/Laboratory Glassware Attendant in that incumbents do
not solely perform entry level duties such as glass washing.
Incumbents may come in contact with potentially hazardous chemicals,
may work outside in adverse weather conditions and may travel to
remote locations, some of which are at high elevations.
Examples of Duties:
- Collects glassware from laboratories, separating by type of
item and size; prepares glassware for autoclaving by wrapping
- Stacks glassware in dishwasher, adding cleaning solution or
washes glassware by hand; places glassware in oven to dry.
- Returns clean glassware to appropriate laboratory.
- Assists in laboratory work including labeling, preliminary
sorting, measuring and processing samples.
- Prepares solutions, reagents and media according to detailed
- Assists in surveying and excavating prehistoric and historic
archaeological sites including mapping, profiling and completing
basic field notes and records.
- Assists in cataloging specimens, samples or artifacts.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies for assigned area;
checks in shipments and restocks shelves.
- Assists researchers with routine experiments under close
- Feeds, waters and cleans cages of research animals;
restrains and/or assists with minor procedures on animals.
- Cleans equipment and ensures it is in good working order;
performs preventive maintenance or minor repairs to field or
laboratory equipment and notifies appropriate person to make
- Performs routine laboratory or greenhouse tasks related to
the growth or maintenance of experimental plants or animals;
observes human, animal or plant subjects for responses to
stimuli; records and reports observations to investigator.
- Collects background material and photocopies research
articles from the library.
- Performs clerical duties such as filing, labeling, typing
and record keeping.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of telescope mounting procedures depending on area
- Knowledge of general science.
- Skill in the use of laboratory and/or field equipment.
- Skill in following detailed instructions.
year of laboratory/research, field research, technical maintenance
or archaeological experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Research Nurse Senior Job Description