Sales Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs activities associated with selling, ordering, and overall
management of a sales area dealing with specialized merchandise that
requires knowledge of a unique and/or specialized nature. These
activities include researching and utilizing knowledge of highly
technical products that are appropriate to their specific and/or
unique needs. Also includes responsibility to order specialized
merchandise. Incumbents will supervise subordinate sales staff in
areas of expertise, exercise judgement within the perimeters of
areas of specialized knowledge.
the third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished
from the Sales Assistant Senior by supervisory responsibility,
unique knowledge of technical products, and expectations of
independent decision-making within the area of specialized
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Informs and assists customers regarding technical and
specialized merchandise; demonstrates use upon request.
- Identifies need for materials and merchandise; identifies
criteria and selects vendor to procure specific merchandise
meeting identified criteria, such as price, quality, quantity,
and delivery date, and places orders.
- Coordinates activities with Purchasing, as required to meet
unit and University needs, Arizona Board of Regents policies,
and state and federal statutes.
- Plans special promotions; coordinates advertising,
procurement of specialized merchandise, staff scheduling, and
- Interviews vendor representatives to develop new sources of
technical supplies, securing favorable terms for the University.
- Totals prices and tax on merchandise selected; calculates
discounts when appropriate.
- Compiles and tracks sales data for evaluation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of merchandising techniques and methods for
specialized and/or technical products.
- Knowledge of product selection and purchasing practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in dealing with the public; knowledge of and proven
ability to apply customer service techniques.
- Skill in preparing and analyzing complex technical
Associates degree in Marketing or field appropriate to area of
assignment AND two years' progressively responsible and directly
applicable experience in retail sales of highly technical products
and associated specialized merchandise; OR, Four years'
progressively responsible retail sales experience, which includes
two years' progressively responsible and directly applicable
experience in retail sales of highly technical and/or specialized
merchandise; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
been achieved. Certain positions may require one year of supervisory
Next: Sanitation Equipment Operator Job Description