Subsidiary Bookstore Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
organizes, leads and controls the operations, activities and staff
of a subsidiary university bookstore. Incumbent proceeds on own
initiative using independent judgement.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents
typically report to Bookstore Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Controls inventory; determines quantity to order and when to
order; authorizes special orders.
- Prepares written reports such as daily cash balancing
reports and submits to supervisor.
- Coordinates and negotiates with sales representatives
regarding merchandise and orders.
- Determines policy and procedure for operation; makes needed
changes to work methods and procedures; communicates changes to
- Performs periodic inventory checks and oversees annual
- Opens store for business; closes and locks store daily.
- Prepares necessary paperwork such as work, time and cost
records and various personnel forms.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of bookstore operations.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of inventory techniques.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Business Administration AND three years'
bookstore operations experience which includes one year supervisory
experience; OR, Five years' progressively responsible bookstore
operations experience, which includes one year supervisory
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Subsidiary Retail Store Coordinator Job Description