Tax Compliance Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs professional accounting activities to ensure that the
university meets its legal reporting requirements with respect to
Federal, State and Local tax laws. Performs research on tax issues
that effect segments of the University as issues arise. Identifies
potential tax exposure areas, determines the ramifications to the
university and makes recommendations to address the issues.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Provides tax research services to university administration
- Seeks out and analyzes the effect of tax exposure areas that
have not been previously addressed by the university.
- Assists with the development and modification of automated
systems to collect data for the purpose of reporting to the
appropriate governmental agencies.
- Monitors IRS determinations and assesses their implications
for the university.
- Researches tax issues and provides tax advisory assistance
to departments, including representing the university in
meetings with agents of taxing authorities.
- Issues written communications to employees and students
explaining tax law changes and consequences to them.
- Reviews all new accounts that involve sales and service to
determine potential tax liability.
- Prepares and makes presentations on selected tax issues to
university departments, committees and community.
- Responds to highly technical or sensitive complaints or
concerns related to employee taxation and withholding.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and
- Knowledge of tax laws and tax research techniques.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related area with accounting
coursework AND five years of tax research experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Technical Director Job Description