Veterinary Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
sample collection, treatment, minor surgery, and other clinical
veterinary skills to support research efforts and the effective
maintenance of animal colonies. Train staff and students in these
procedures. Reports to the Department of Animal Care and
Technologies Clinical Veterinarian.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides service support for animal care and use, including:
animal inoculations, blood collection, sample collection, drug
administration, anesthesia administration and monitoring, and
minor surgical procedures.
- With the Clinical Veterinary staff, provides training in the
areas of minor research support (blood and sample collection).
- Coordinates the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment
Program by working with Campus Health to ensure those involved
with animal research and care have completed safety precautions,
including receiving the appropriate shots.
- Manages the Rodent Sentinel Program by coordinating
quarterly antibody testing and transportation of samples and
- In consultation with the Clinical Veterinarian, conducts
triage (first examination) of reported cases and manages the
treatment of those animals.
- Assists in veterinary care
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques in handling large and
- Skill in conducting physical examinations and clinically
- Skill in anesthetic monitoring and trouble-shooting.
- Skill in maintaining anesthetic and surgical logs.
- Skill in blood collection and drug inoculation in a variety
- Skill in minor surgical procedures.
- Skill in maintaining detailed records.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Ability to train personnel in techniques used in animal
- Ability to use database and spreadsheet computer software
Certified Veterinary Technician and four (4) years experience in the
veterinary technician and/or research fields; OR, Any equivalent
combination of education and experience from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Videographer Job Description