Athletic Equipment Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Develops, plans and organizes programs for maintaining and
purchasing athletic equipment for all university sport teams.
Prepares and monitors athletic equipment budgets.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents in
this classification are required to travel to sporting events and
maintain a variable work schedule dependent on sport season.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Prepares and monitors annual budgets for university athletic
teams; forecasts equipment needs, various supplies and travel
- Coordinates with coaches to determine team's equipment needs
and variations, design of new uniforms, and the like.
- Selects vendors and purchases sporting equipment and
- Administers policies and procedures for department.
- Establishes the schedule of activity related to preparation
of facilities for intercollegiate team practices and contests.
- Attends or schedules staff to attend all home athletic
events and travels with athletic teams to "away" competition;
ensures all equipment needs are met at sporting event.
- Maintains inventory of all sporting equipment and supplies.
- Fits or monitors fitting of athletic equipment to ensure
athletes receive appropriate equipment.
- Performs other program management duties related to athletic
teams such as coordinating sport camps and administering special
budgets for bowl games.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of sports equipment and facility needs.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field AND
three years in management of athletic equipment experience which
includes one year supervisory experience; OR, Seven years experience
in management of athletic equipment which includes one year
supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Athletic Facilities Attendant Job Description