Parking Attendant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
designated parking area or a booth at a pay-for-parking
entrance/exit during established lot hours. Directs drivers of
vehicles to appropriate parking areas. Collects parking fees and
provides information to visitors, students, staff and faculty.
Monitors and/or patrols lots to check for required permits and to
ensure cars are parked in designated spaces and not blocking traffic
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Regulates parking and traffic in assigned lot restricting
unauthorized vehicles and providing entry to authorized
- Collects parking fees from customer based on charges for
amount of time parked or standard lot fee; issues receipts upon
- Enters transactions on cash register or other approved means
and balances cash with register tape according to an established
- Completes reports or forms required by department.
- Counts parked vehicles and holds required spaces for
reservations; places sign in view when lot is full.
- Provides directions, parking alternatives and campus
information upon request to visitors, students, staff and
- Prepares temporary permits as required for customer.
- Places written notice of payment due on windshield of
vehicles in lot before and after attendant hours.
- Notifies Parking Services via two-way radio or telephone of
need for Parking Enforcement Officer or of other problems such
as mechanical failure and vehicle boot tampering.
- Watches assigned lot for suspicious activity and reports
such to university public safety unit.
- Checks permits to verify authorization and assist in
identification of stolen permits.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general parking practices and procedures.
- Skill in basic math.
- Skill in courteous communication with public.
- Skill in accurate exchange of coins and currency.
- Skill in following verbal and written instructions.
months' parking lot operations or related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Parking Enforcement Officer Job Description