Technology Support Analyst Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to users of information technology tools. Work
typically involves a combination of providing expert advice and
troubleshooting on groups of software products or on entire systems,
assessing, planning for, and implementing new technology,
administering and maintaining shared-use systems, communicating with
users and user groups on technology topics, and providing
the fifth in a series of six classifications. Incumbents at this
level are experts and support leaders for groups of products or
entire systems as opposed to one or two products as at the fourth
level. Incumbents at this level also spend more time on assessing,
planning for, and implementing new technology than do those at the
fourth level. Incumbents at the sixth level are experts and planning
and support leaders for an entire subject area or for a large group
of users and spend considerable time in leading and coordinating
Examples of Duties:
- Maintains a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise
on a group of technology products or on a technology platform
through research, personal use, vendor presentations, and
training; leads support for the product group or platform,
including publicity, training, expert trouble-shooting and
advice, vendor interface and advocacy.
- Identifies needs and researches, analyzes, plans for and
implements technology products and associated use and support
- Configures and installs server and network hardware and
- Acts as a technology liaison for one or more groups of
customers: understands the groupís interests and technology
needs, advocates for them inside and outside of the university,
maintains regular communications with them on technology topics,
helps with technology planning, and facilitates solutions to
- Mentors other technical support staff on systems analysis,
trouble-shooting, and customer support techniques.
- Develops and delivers instructional short courses on the use
of supported technology products, and provides personalized
instruction one-on-one to meet specialized needs.
- Uses applications software such as database management
systems, Web page development tools, desktop publishing tools,
and presentation tools to develop custom products to meet user
- Collaborates and teams with others on a variety of
technology and technology support projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of a group of technology products or
a technology platform sufficient to provide expert
trouble-shooting and advice.
- Knowledge of a variety of relevant technology tools
sufficient to assess their relevancy and cost-effectiveness for
a particular need and to combine them effectively.
- Knowledge of process improvement methods and approaches.
- Skill in developing and delivering instruction.
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems with computer
hardware and software.
- Skill in using applications software to develop custom
- Considerable skill in communicating with and serving
customers in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to mentor technical support staff.
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
Bachelorís degree in technology or related field AND four years'
experience providing information technology services; OR, Eight
years' experience providing information technology services; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of tools
and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to
six months of experience.
Next: Technology Support Analyst Senior Job Description