Theater Technical Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in the construction of scenery and/or costumes, setting up seating,
equipment and stage sets, loading and unloading equipment from
trucks, transporting show personnel and cargo and installing
lighting equipment, sewing costumes and creating accessories.
first in a series of two classifications. This classification
requires a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of each
Examples of Duties:
- Assists in the construction and dismantling of stage sets
using power and hand tools; moves scenery on and off stage.
- Sets up and positions seating, musical equipment and stands,
microphones, backdrops and projection screens.
- Installs lighting equipment by following directions on
lighting plot and focuses lighting.
- Runs lighting and soundboards for small events and routinely
- Make adjustments at rehearsal such as re-aiming lights and
adding or re-positioning microphones.
- Loads and unloads equipment and props from trucks.
- Teaches students to build scenery with the use of hand and
power tools; assigns work and monitors quality of work of
- Maintains tools and equipment in good working order by
making minor repairs.
- Transports show personnel and cargo between hotel, airport
and performance site.
- Inventories and recommends purchase of supplies and
- Stitches costumes and develops patterns from sketches using
flat pattern method or drapery method.
- Designs and constructs costume accessory pieces for hats,
jewelry and shoes.
- Maintains costumes including laundering, ironing and
pressing of clothing.
- Styles wig and applies make-up to accompany costumes.
- Sweeps and mops floor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in the use of a sewing machine.
- Skill in the use of hand tools and power tools.
- Skill in the use of stage make-up, wigs and accessories.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years theatrical/stage production and maintenance experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Some
positions may require possession of a current Arizona Type D
driver's license upon employment.
Next: Ticket Office Assistant Manager Job Description