Career Service Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides career planning services to students, alumni, and other
persons including the development and delivery of planning and
decision making programs. Works with students, alumni, and other
persons to identify and explore career ideas, plans, and goals.
Presents overall programs and ideas to campus and community groups
to promote ideas of career planning and participation in center
first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from
the Career Service Specialist Senior in that the senior level
incumbents work directly with employers and recruiters and have a
higher level of independence in recruiting and development of
materials and programs.
Examples of Duties:
- Interviews all applicants to discuss career planning and/or
employment opportunities, requirements, interests and
- Counsels applicants with unusual problems, disabilities or
- Prepares announcements regarding examinations, career
opportunities and/or briefs; prepares advertising copy and
correspondence for recruitment purposes.
- Orients a variety of users regarding purposes and goals of
the university placement services.
- Conducts career planning and placement classes, workshops or
seminars; may participate in planning and development of
classes, workshops or seminars.
- Prepares reports for local, state and federal offices
dealing with statistical computation regarding oversupply and
shortage of various employment categories.
- Maintains records and files and submits reports as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of career planning practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of interviewing techniques and related career and
job search skills.
- Knowledge of human behavior, individual differences,
motivation and attitudes.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Social Science, Counseling, Education or
related field AND one year of personnel, college relations or
student advisement experience; OR, Five years of personnel, college
relations or student advisement experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Career Service Specialist Senior Job Description