Human Resources Specialist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs professional human resource services such as employment,
compensation, classification, training, employee relations, benefits
and/or organizational development. Incumbents provide administrative
direction and counsel regarding the interpretation of policies,
practices and procedures regarding a wide variety of personnel
third in a series of five classifications and is distinguished from
the Human Resource Specialist by the responsibility for performing
in-depth human resource duties under minimal supervision and the
nominal supervision of subordinate personnel. Work is reviewed in
terms of meeting specific goals and objectives.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Advises, interprets and provides direction to management and
staff on Board of Regent policy and university rules and
procedures involving employment, affirmative action, employer
and employee relations, salary administration, training,
benefits and organizational development.
- Reviews and analyzes position description questionnaires;
allocates positions to appropriate job classifications; prepares
new classification descriptions, revises existing descriptions
and defends them before a job evaluation committee.
- Reviews documentation to support disciplinary actions;
investigates employee grievances and participates in their
resolution; reviews employee appeals, determines appropriate
action, and assists in the resolution through negotiation with
employees and supervisors.
- Conducts candidate recruitment process; reviews and
evaluates employee qualifications; maintains eligible applicant
pools and refers candidates to hiring departments.
- Develops and conducts training sessions, workshops and
seminars for staff and community groups; represents the Human
Resource/Personnel Department to community training
- Evaluates the effectiveness of training sessions and
programs; determines changes to be made and initiates changes to
programs to ensure appropriate skills development.
- Counsel staff on financial planning programs, insurance
options and retirement plans; resolves employee benefit problems
and implements procedural changes to comply with applicable
- Coordinates with line departments to review organizational
structure and makes recommendations regarding work assignments;
conducts detailed audits of work assignments and performance and
makes recommendations for change.
- Performs the duties of the Human Resources Specialist.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, practices and standards of human
- Knowledge of the methods and procedures used in collecting
analyzing, interpreting and reporting data.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations in assigned area.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Problem analysis and resolution skills.
Bachelor's degree in Personnel or Business Administration or related
field AND two years of professional human resources experience; OR,
Six years of progressively responsible human resources experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: HVAC Assistant Supervisor Job Description