Locksmith Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Repairs, installs, and services locks and related hardware.
first in a series of three classifications and is a journey-level
locksmith. This classification typically reports to the Locksmith
Supervisor or Lead.
Examples of Duties:
- Installs, adjusts and services locks and related equipment.
- Repairs and/or changes combinations on safes.
- Cuts new or duplicate keys from existing keys, patterns, or
- Opens locks for which there is no key or existing
- Repairs and services "panic hardware" on doors.
- Prepares labors and material estimates.
- Maintains shop master key boxes within the shop areas for
accessibility to areas of the campus for shop personnel in the
- Rebuilds safes and other major locking devices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the techniques for keying, repairing,
installing and servicing locks and related hardware.
- Skill in repairing, installing, and servicing locks and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of locksmith experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Locksmith Lead Job Description