Mail Clerk Lead Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Receives, sorts, processes and routes incoming and outgoing mail for
university or large department.
second in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Mail Clerk in that it performs duties of a lead nature such as
training and overseeing work of other mailroom staff. Work is
performed within pickup and delivery deadlines.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates activities or subordinates.
- Collects, sorts and delivers incoming, outgoing and
interdepartmental mail; operates various mail vehicles.
- Receives and sorts campus mail by departments and prepares
bundles of mail parcels for delivery; assigns mail routes.
- Receives and sorts outgoing U.S. mail; meters mail and
processes for delivery to U.S. Postal Service; operates mail
metering machines and electronic accounting systems and bulk
- Processes all classes of mail including express mail or
private carriers, to ensure adherence to proper size, weight,
packaging, postage and other postal requirements.
- Receives and processes incoming and outgoing insured,
certified, express registered and special delivery mail and
parcels according to postal regulations.
- Locates proper addresses and makes corrections for
misdirected mail; forwards student mail.
- Prepares and processes necessary paperwork related to mail
services; maintains records on quantities and descriptions of
materials received and distributed.
- Performs other duties such as delivery of supplies dependent
on unit area or department of assignment.
- Schedules vehicles for maintenance.
- Sells postage stamps and money orders; hands out packages,
certified and registered mail.
- Closes out cash drawer, money orders and postage meter at
end of shift.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of postal regulations.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
year mailroom experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved. Possession of a current Arizona
Type D driver's license is required upon employment.
Next: Mail Services Assistant
Manager Job Description