Materials Handler Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs manual and clerical duties related to shipping, receiving,
inspecting, storing, issuing and delivering a variety of materials,
equipment and supplies.
first in a series of six classifications. It is distinguished from
the Materials Handler in that this classification typically is
responsible for a small volume or area, has no formal leadership
role, and activities are procedural and well defined requiring
limited decision making. Incumbents are expected to handle
high-dollar amount and fragile equipment or supplies and hazardous
materials, such as chemicals or gasses, when necessary. May be
required to lift heavy objects.
Examples of Duties:
- Counts, weighs or measures incoming or outgoing items to
compare identifying information and verify against bills of
lading, invoices, orders or other records; examines incoming
shipments for damage or shortages and documents findings.
- Prepares material for shipment; weighs and stamps packages.
- Assembles appropriate containers and inserts materials into
container using spacers, fillers or other protective materials;
binds container closed using appropriate method; marks container
with identifying information or shipping instructions.
- Assists in loading and unloading trucks.
- Distributes or delivers incoming items to appropriate
department or stores items in stockroom.
- Operates material handling equipment such as pallet jacks,
hand trucks, dollies and other related equipment.
- Participates in routine, periodic inventories, counting and
recording stock items.
- Tags new stock with prices or other identifying information.
- Signs for incoming shipments as received.
- Fills orders and issues materials and supplies per requests;
documents transactions according to established procedure.
- Utilizes computerized or automated systems to accomplish
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of recordkeeping practices and basic arithmetic.
- Knowledge of safety practices.
- Skill in operating automotive, materials handling and office
- Skill in lifting heavy packages and objects.
- Skill in following both verbal and written instructions.
prior experience required; Possession of a current Arizona Type D
driverís license is required upon employment.
Next: Materials Handler Lead Job Description