Planetarium Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supports Planetarium by performing repairs and maintenance to
equipment, assisting with theater production including selecting,
recording and editing narrative and music, leading the work of
volunteers and students and answering astronomy related inquiries
from the public.
first in a series of two classifications and typically reports to
the Planetarium Coordinator. This classification requires a flexible
work schedule in order to accommodate the viewing and show schedule.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs maintenance and electrical, electronic and
mechanical repairs to equipment such as projectors, tape decks
and sound systems; performs routine duties such as replacing
lamps to more complicated duties such as replacing wiring and
- Assists supervisor with theater production, which includes
installing equipment, writing computer commands to control
equipment, assembling visuals, selecting, recording and editing
narrative and music, editing and writing scripts and
constructing special effects projectors.
- Coordinates the work of students and volunteers who repair
equipment, run the telescope, provide security and run the
- Introduces lecturers for planetarium shows and/or presents
lectures to student groups or the general public.
- Answers inquiries from the public on astronomy related
topics that may involve researching a variety of related issues.
- Schedules the use of the portable planetarium telescope;
ensures that qualified operators use equipment.
- Maintains inventory and requisitions theater and electronic
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of optical, electronic and mechanical equipment as
it relates to planetarium equipment.
- Skill in graphics, photography and writing for program
- Skill in presenting lectures to groups of people.
- Skill in repairing various types of planetarium equipment.
years of planetarium operations experience which includes one year
of electronic and general maintenance experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Planned Maintenance Supervisor Job Description