Sanitation Equipment Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates a refuse collection truck and related heavy equipment in
the collection of commercial refuse along a designated route
operating heavy front, side, and rear loading refuse vehicles. This
classification is a skilled position.
a specialized classification, and is not part of a series.
Incumbents perform some of the same duties as the Equipment Operator
but are distinguished from that in that the Sanitation Equipment
Operator exercise more autonomy and final decision making authority,
performs waste management administrative tasks in addition to
Examples of Duties:
- Operates solid waste trucks, or related equipment.
- Participates in the assignment of routes; modifies schedules
to accommodate service changes; participates in the training of
- Provides information and assistance to the public; responds
to and resolves complaints; receives calls for new customers or
changes in service.
- Maintains pertinent logs, records, and files; prepares
accident reports as required.
- Drives and operates a front, side, or rear loading refuse
vehicle to collect contained refuse on designated route;
operates controls to empty trash bins into truck.
- Transports loaded refuse to the appropriate landfill;
disposes of refuse.
- Maintains assigned vehicle; maintains fluid levels and tire
pressure in assigned vehicle; washes trucks as necessary;
inspects assigned vehicle and equipment for mechanical or safety
problems, and inspects compactor unit.
- Reports unsafe working conditions, accidents, and injuries
to supervisor; informs supervisor of unsafe or broken sanitation
containers and unsafe, difficult, or poorly maintained
- Operates the following equipment; Backhoe, Dump Truck,
Forklift, Front Loader, Power Washer, and Refuse Compacting
- Participates in negotiations and contract verbiage for new
waste management vendor contracts.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Supervises assigned staff in the collection of sanitation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of
supervision and training.
- Knowledge of refuse collection techniques.
- Knowledge of operational and maintenance characteristics of
refuse collection vehicles.
- Knowledge to coordinate with contractors and assist in the
inspection of University refuse removal.
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in
heavy truck operation.
- Knowledge of hazards and applicable safety rules and
regulations involved in the operation of refuse collection
- Knowledge of University policies pertaining to refuse
- Knowledge of two way radio procedures, codes, and FCC
- Skill in heavy equipment operation.
- Ability to lead and direct the work of sanitation collection
- Ability to coordinate and oversee contractors assigned
personnel for the removal of refuse from University.
- Ability to maintain scheduling of collection routes.
- Ability to operate heavy trucks skillfully, safely, and
according to traffic laws and regulations.
- Ability to maintain assigned equipment and detect the need
for equipment repair, and to make necessary simple adjustments.
- Ability to write reports and complete detailed form reports.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative-working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of heavy equipment experience, OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills, and abilities have been achieved. Possession of, or ability
to obtain, an appropriate valid Arizona Class A Commercial Driverís
Next: Scientific Glassblower Job Description