Space Planner Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Oversees the space management system and coordinates, analyzes and
reports on space needs and utilization. Maintains complete
second in a series of three classifications and is distinguished
from the Space Planner in that incumbents perform more in-depth
analysis, develop policies and procedures for the area, and possess
more decision making authority over the space management system.
Incumbents are responsible for developing University space
utilization standards for instruction, research, and administration
space. Incumbents work in a lead or supervisory capacity, and plan
and coordinate the work of Space Planners.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises,plans and coordinates the work activities of
- Develops and interprets policies and procedures for space
requests and utilization.
- Develops internal space standards in consultation with
faculty committees and senior management.
- Analyzes space utilization effectiveness and changing
demands for space needs; recommends actions to meet new
- Conducts studies, researches, and compiles data and prepares
comprehensive facilities use and feasibility data to be used for
campus planning, capital improvement, and long-range planning.
- Creates and manages comprehensive space management computer
system to include storage, retrieval, analysis, and reporting of
the space management data and facilities inventory.
- Identifies and resolves facility utilization conflicts
- Obtains information for updating facilities inventory.
- Assigns or classifies space according to pertinent standards
- Analyzes reports or summaries of new construction,
renovation, and various remodeling and impact on space planning,
and develops methodologies for University space analyses.
- Performs administrative functions such as assisting with or
coordinating budget preparation, financial report preparation,
or monitoring and ensuring compliance to departmental,
University, or other policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of space management computer applications.
- Knowledge of space utilization and facilities management.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in analyzing and determining space utilization and
- Skill in coordinating and planning the work activities of
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field AND
three years of facilities space management or directly related
experience, which includes one year of supervisory or lead
experience; OR, Seven years of facilities space management or
directly related experience, which includes one year of supervisory
or lead experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Space Planning Manager Job Description