Word Processing Operator Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates word processing and peripheral equipment to record, edit,
store and revise correspondence, reports, statistical tables, forms
and other materials utilizing clerical skills and knowledge of word
processing functions. Incumbents in this classification receive
assignments or instruction directly from the source and sets
priorities. Assignments typically involve long, complex and
technically oriented documents.
second in a series of three classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Reviews rough draft and copy to determine procedures to be
followed regarding material to be prepared or revised the
requested format for finished copy and the time involved on the
- Word processes or keys original material into machine
memory, typing from printed copy, machine dictation or
- Locates documents in files when revisions are requested and
inserts, deletes, corrects, repositions or reformats document.
- Operates equipment such as printers, copiers or dictaphones
to produce documents.
- Identifies and takes corrective action to resolve routine
- Reads proof copy of documents entered into machine memory
and corrects typographical and grammatical errors, prints out
final copy and records material for future reference.
- Distributes and coordinates workload and output of
- Establishes and maintains logs and files of tapes, cards,
discs and other stored material.
- May assist in training of clerical employees in word
processing techniques or general office procedures.
- Operates other software programs such as spreadsheets and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business English and spelling.
- Knowledge of word processing operations.
- Skill in typing from a variety of rough copy or from a
- Skill in entering, amending and retrieving data in desired
- Skill in producing well balanced grammatically correct and
attractively arranged material.
- Skill in the use of a variety of word processing packages.
years of experience in the operation of word processing equipment
which includes one year of technical typing experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Word Processing Specialist Job Description