Word Processing Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates word processing equipment to record, edit, store and revise
correspondence, reports, statistical tables, forms and other
materials utilizing clerical skills and knowledge of word processing
first in a series of three classifications. Incumbents in this
classification receive assignments, instruction or assistance from
senior operators or clerical supervisors. Assignments are of a
routine nature and do not typically deviate from an established
Examples of Duties:
- Reads instructions on work requests or log-in forms to
determine procedures to be followed regarding material to be
prepared or revised and the requested format for finished copy.
- Word processes original material into machine memory typing
from printed copy, machine dictation or handwritten materials.
- Locates documents in files when revisions are requested and
inserts, deletes, corrects, repositions or reformats document.
- Operates peripheral equipment such as printers, copiers or
dictaphones to produce documents.
- Identifies and takes corrective action to resolve routine
- Reads proof copy of documents entered into machine memory
and corrects typographical and spelling errors, prints out final
copy and records material for future reference.
- Answers phone calls, takes inventory of office supplies
and/or serves as back-up clerical/office staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business English and spelling.
- Knowledge of word processing operations.
- Skill in typing from a variety of rough copy or from a
- Skill in producing well balanced grammatically correct and
attractively arranged material.
- Skill in following verbal and written instructions.
Completion of a word processing equipment operator training course;
OR, Six months of word processing experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Word Processing Operator Senior Job Description