Accounting Assistant Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of clerical accounting and bookkeeping duties
requiring a working knowledge of assigned accounting functions,
accuracy and attention to detail. Incumbents work within established
procedures but with relative independence in carrying out duties
under limited supervision. Advice and leadership are available from
supervisor for complex or questionable matters or those requiring
authorization. Detailed instructions are provided for difficult or
second in a series of three classifications. Accounting Specialists
exercise signature authority, work under own initiative with only
general supervision, possess a complete and thorough knowledge of a
specialized set of functions and/or provide formalized work
leadership to assigned staff. This classification is distinguished
from the Accounting Assistant in that incumbents act and make
decisions relatively independently in performing duties of a wider
scope and more specialized nature that require additional skills or
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares and verifies amounts and codes for various standard
accounting entries, data input, or other forms; encodes and
obtains necessary approvals for processing.
- Sorts documents and posts debits/credits to proper accounts;
balances and reconciles department records with university
accounting system; makes necessary corrections.
- Reviews computer reports to identify and trace sources of
error and makes necessary corrections; performs research to
locate accounting or computer input errors.
- Performs verification and reconciliation activities for
assigned accounts of a complex nature.
- Maintains a variety of records pertinent to work unit such
as records of cash receipts, cash deposits, property control
records, accounts payable or accounts receivable; identifies
accounts affected and debit and credit entries necessary.
- Verifies billing statements and prepares for authorization;
checks for completeness and compliance with university
- Independently responds to or initiates correspondence
regarding matters pertaining to assigned function.
- Contacts various department personnel to resolve
discrepancies or problems; answers inquiries regarding work
- Compiles numerical and statistical information for report
purposes or simple financial statements; runs a variety of
reports from computer records; makes and checks relatively
complex numerical and statistical calculations.
- Provides assistance and training to other workers.
- May perform various clerical duties related to work unit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic business math.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of budgetary principles.
- Skill in maintaining accounting and bookkeeping records.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years' clerical accounting experience; OR, Associate's degree in
Business or related field; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Accounting Manager Job Description