Associate Sports Information Director Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs work of considerable difficulty in the planning,
organizing, developing, and administering of sports news related to
assigned sports programs of high demand and visibility status.
Assists with staffing and oversight of the operations as well as
with computer demands specific to the Office of Sports Information
and its web sites. Adheres to NCAA and PAC-10 rules and regulations
as well as policies of the University, Department, and Arizona Board
the second in a series of two and is distinguished for the Assistant
SID in that it is responsible to sports programs of high visibility
which requires intensive demand. Additionally will provide
supervisory assistance, organization assistance for the office, and
computer assistance for on-line updating of stats and game results.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides supervisory and administrative oversight in the
absence of the Director for Sports Information.
- Prepares press releases for print, radio, television, and
on-line media for assigned sports. Serves as the primary contact
for hometown media of visiting teams as well as the media
contact for the visiting University’s contacts.
- Responds to statistical and other report requirements for
the NCAA, the PAC-10m intercollegiate opponents, various
periodicals, journals, ad magazines, major television networks,
national wire services and other print and electronic services,
including TheSunDevis.com website. Prepares and designs media
guides. Will oversee and assist in preparation of official game
- Will oversee the computer operations of the web site. Is
responsible for updating of ASU Sports Website
- Responds to media requests for specific news articles, fax
materials, photography sessions, radio and TV interviews, TV
segments and features for publications. Schedules and
coordinates student athlete and coaches’ interviews for assigned
sports of both home and visiting teams.
- Provides pre- and post-game statistical information and
notes, as well as any other date the media requests for sports
events at the University.
- Writes/edits features for various University publications,
national and regional magazines and wire services. Responds to
requests for information, gathers information, edits & writes
- Maintains ASU Athletics Web Site managements.
- Maintains all statistical information, historical data,
photo and slip files for assigned sports programs.
- Arranges and distributes photographs for media.
- Prepares promotional or public relations materials.
- Travels with assigned sports teams to away events.
- Serves as liaison between department and printer vendors.
- Supervises student workers, grad assistants, interns.
- May be responsible for photography at ASU events
- Performs others duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of news, reporting, and editing principles,
practices, and techniques
- Knowledge of public relations principles, practices, and
- Knowledge of printing and graphics
- Knowledge of NCAA and PAC-10 rules and regulations
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Skill in web site management
- Skill in verbal and written communications
- Skill in interpersonal relations
- Skill in file maintenance
- Ability to coordinate meetings, interviews
- Ability to travel with teams
- Ability to work varied schedules
Bachelors degree in journalism, communications or related field and
three years experience in sports information which includes one year
of supervisory experience; OR, any equivalent combination of
education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills,
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Athletic Equipment Attendant Job Description