Computer Support Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises various computer operations, support, and production
control personnel. Incumbents supervise and coordinate the
activities of computer support personnel performing various
activities within the computer center including computer production,
computer operation, documentation, operations support and training.
a specialized class and not part of a series. They are distinguished
from Computing Managers who manage highly technical computer areas,
and from the Computer Operator Supervisor who typically supervises
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Monitors and controls the workflow to ensure the overall
work objectives are achieved, completion deadline/production
schedules are met, and performance and availability objectives
- Develops and maintains training programs and documentation
as needed for personnel in the operation and control of
- Develops and implements new or revised safety and security
procedures peculiar to the computing environments.
- Develops and implements new or revised operating standards
- Prepares a variety of administrative reports pertaining to
system operation, personnel administration, equipment
utilization, performance and availability.
- Provides direction for updates to operator command procedure
- Assists manager with administrative duties and operational
- Reviews security procedures of subordinate staff and ensures
the security of the facilities, equipment and data.
- Confers with computer users regarding production data
security, availability of the various systems, and operational
or scheduling requirements for new or existing applications.
- Coordinates with other computer support personnel in
planning the acquisition, installation, and implementation of
software products that support computer operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of
computer operations and/or production control.
- Knowledge of programming concepts and job control languages
appropriate to the assignment.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication, with
emphasis on technical documentation.
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three
years experience as a computer operations and/or production control
which includes one year supervisory experience; OR, Four years of
experience in computer operations and/or production control which
includes one year supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer-Aided Design Specialist Job Description