Grounds Crew Chief Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises a crew of Groundskeepers in the maintenance of grounds
and grounds construction activities.
third in a series of five classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Ground Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises the activities of subordinates.
- Plans projects and schedules grounds crew activities over
short and long-range periods and assigns priorities for their
- Reviews projects for structural and operational safety.
- Monitors all activities with regard to progress and cost;
advises supervisor of significant variations as required.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports.
- Coordinates periodically with supervisor, and receives
guidance as to desired standards of quality of service provided.
- Ensures subordinates compliance with established safety
- May operate various snow removal equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment, tools, and procedures of grounds
construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of techniques of planting and maintaining plants,
trees, and shrubs suited to the area location.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in planning and supervising a grounds care unit.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of grounds maintenance experience, which includes one year of
lead experience; OR, Associate's degree in Horticulture or related
field AND two years of grounds maintenance experience, which
includes one year of lead experience; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Grounds Supervisor Job Description