Library Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
organizes, and supervises a section of library employees whose
duties are specialized and technical, and involves varied procedures
and methods, and has direct responsibility for subordinates
including hiring, training, evaluating, monitoring work performance,
setting performance goals and providing an environment in which
goals can be achieved and career development is fostered. The
Library Supervisor manages the work and resources of the unit
including planning, organizing, allocating, and prioritizing both
work and resources to meet the goals of the unit, department and
library. The classification's responsibilities are primarily
supervisory in nature.
the first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished
from the Library Supervisor Senior in that this classification does
not supervise multiple library units. This classification reports to
a Library Supervisor Senior, Librarian or Department Head.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Plans, schedules, and organizes work activities to meet unit
goals and objectives.
- Develops, implements and revises work methods, policies, and
procedures for the library unit.
- Establishes, monitors, and ensures adherence to quality and
- Recommends policy development and revision to library
department head; recommends organizational adjustments to
efficiently and effectively accomplish department and library
- Maintains records and prepares statistical reports relating
to the responsibilities and operations of the unit.
- Maintains responsibility for selecting, implementing, and
reviewing the use of microcomputer software related to the work
of the library unit, and for training staff and student
employees in the use of these systems.
- Coordinates complex projects with other library sections and
- Plans, prepares, and monitors budgets for the library unit
and determines budget spending.
- Reviews and negotiates requests for exceptions to policy
from library users for the library unit.
- Maintains responsibility for initial handling and reporting
of library's central building and personal security problems.
- Interprets and enforces library and university policy and
recommends changes in library policy.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of complex library issues and procedures such as
cataloging, acquisitions, reference, circulation or
bibliographic control procedures.
- Knowledge of automated library functions.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in coordinating work of self and others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree AND three years' progressively responsible library
experience; OR, Seven years' progressively responsible library
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Library Supervisor Senior Job Description