Payroll Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises and coordinates the daily operations and activities of a
payroll staff. In conjunction with the Payroll Manager, controls
preparations and disbursement of payroll for the centralized
university payroll function.
fourth in a series of four classifications. Incumbents are
distinguished from the Payroll Specialist, Senior by supervising the
payroll staff and performing advanced technical work.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises, reviews, and evaluates performance of assigned
employees; recommends modification in employment status of
assigned employees to Manager for review/approval.
- Coordinates daily work activities and assigns work;
organizes and prioritizes department workload; monitors status
of work in progress; and inspects completed work.
- Recommends and assists in developing and implementing new
and/or revised policies/procedures to ensure efficient
processing of the university's payroll and ongoing compliance
with legislative mandates and statutes.
- Provides information, assistance and/or training to
employees, staff and the university community; provides
technical/procedural assistance to staff and university
community; trains on payroll policies/procedures; answers
employee/staff questions during payroll editing and check
- Works closely with Information Technology to identify
opportunities to increase effectiveness of computer operations,
system utilization, response time, and software
- Works in conjunction with Information Technology to develop,
test and implement system upgrades and/or enhancements; trains
users in operation of system; reports problem situations.
- Works closely with Manager to assist internal and external
auditors during audit process by providing documents, reports
and other payroll-related reports upon request; implements
procedural changes recommended by auditors.
- Advises, interprets and provides direction to management and
staff on university rules and procedures and Federal, state and
local laws and regulations involving payroll and related benefit
program deductions to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Acts as liaison to staff, faculty, administrators and
students by answering questions, providing alternatives, and
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, memoranda, statistical
summaries, reports, announcements and other materials related to
the payroll function.
- Participates in the preparation of the recommended
department/unit budget or budgets.
- Represents department on intra- and inter-institutional
- Performs duties of Manager in their absence and represents
Manager at meetings as necessary.
- Performs duties of a Payroll Specialist Senior, as
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of payroll principles, practices, regulations and
- Knowledge of applicable local, state and federal payroll and
related tax laws, regulations and statutes.
- Knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of payroll record keeping and reporting
requirements and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic methods and practices of software testing
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in evaluating and analyzing technical payroll
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports.
- Skill in performing detailed computations.
years of payroll experience, which includes one year of supervisory
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Pharmacist Job Description