Computer Operations Support Specialist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides senior technical support to Operations personnel and to
systems and programming personnel in support of operational systems.
Directs the recovery of files in case of media failure. Ensures
operational documentation and inventories are kept current. Designs
computer operator training courses. Identifies trends in equipment
errors. Participates in equipment moves and installations.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the first in that incumbents perform some lower level systems
programming functions in support of operations.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides technical training to operational personnel in all
areas of computer operations.
- Resolves complex operational malfunctions by revising
existing operating techniques and procedures or devising new
- Reviews work projects for conformance with operational
standards and procedures and recommends necessary changes.
- Reviews security procedures of operations staff, ensures
that computing standards are maintained and ensures the security
of the facilities, equipment, data, and personnel.
- Confers with other computing personnel in resolving problems
involving program intent, input/output requirements and other
procedural and technical matters.
- Reviews computer operating instructions and computer error
runs to debug programs, interpret machine stops or other
inoperable situations and corrections complex error conditions.
- Leads operational projects.
- Performs computer program development or modification to
support operational requirements.
- Performs research on specific operational software and
related questions from management, programming, operating, and
systems personnel as directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
- Knowledge of relevant programming and job control language.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of systems and
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three
years experience, which includes two years of programming experience
appropriate to the assignment; OR, Four years of experience in the
operation and support of computer equipment, which includes two
years of programming experience appropriate to the assignment; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Operator Job Description