HRIS Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of day-to-day administrative Human Resource
Information System (HRIS) functions ensuring data integrity and the
processing and reporting of HR data. Incumbents work independently
under general direction. Handles problems and non-routine situations
by determining the approach or action to take and interprets
guidelines, procedures, policies, and practices.
a specialized class and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Confirms accuracy and integrity of all data entered,
maintains data in HRIS systems and databases and assures
information is available on a timely basis.
- Performs group data updates, exports, imports, clean-ups,
and researches/reports on any data discrepancies.
- Delivers routine daily/weekly/monthly reporting and responds
to basic to intermediate ad hoc data requests.
- Conducts data analysis on HR data such as compensation,
classification, employment, employee relations, and/or benefits
data as directed.
- Prepares reports, graphs, charts and statistics in support
of human resources operations.
- Provides assistance and supports others on difficult
assignments and/or problems as directed.
- Coordinates, schedules and tracks progress of specialized
work projects or departmental functions.
- Responds verbally or in writing to inquiries, complaints or
problems providing information requiring comprehensive knowledge
of university policies and procedures.
- Acts as primary contact for assigned function with outside
organizations or other departments; responds to technical
administrative questions and ensures necessary follow up.
- Provides administrative support such as preparing and
composing confidential correspondence, and receiving and
screening telephone calls.
- Executes and coordinates office operations such as office
meetings, conferences, workshops, appointments, and/or special
- Prepares or directs preparation of minutes, notices,
manuals, agendas, and correspondence with all supporting
documentation, requiring application of specialized knowledge of
the assigned function.
- Participates in special projects with staff as directed.
- May supervises, monitor or coordinate activities of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, practices and standards of human
resource administration in assigned area.
- Knowledge of human resource information systems (HRIS).
- Knowledge of database maintenance basic concepts.
- Skill in performing accurate data entry.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to demonstrate close attention to detail.
Associate’s degree in related field AND two (2) years of directly
related human resources experience; OR, Four (4) years of directly
related human resource experience; OR Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Human Resources Assistant Job Description