Library Assistant Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs duties that support a wide range of library services which
may include copy cataloging, verification of bibliographic records
or assisting library users with library requests. This
classification may also include coordinating activities of and
assisting in the training of staff and student assistants and
overseeing a library unit on evenings and weekends. Library
Assistant, Senior makes use of one or more library automated
second in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Library Assistant in that this classification selects the most
appropriate guidelines, reference materials and procedures for
meeting job responsibilities, creates descriptive bibliographic
records, negotiates fines with library users and reviews and
corrects online error reports. This classification operates under
general supervision and reports to a Library Specialist or Senior
Library Supervisor or Senior Librarian or Department Head.
Examples of Duties:
- Creates, inputs and updates bibliographic records,
interlibrary loan requests or other data on automated systems;
searches, interprets and verifies bibliographic records or other
data on automated systems; transfers and receives information
electronically from one system to another; reviews and corrects
online error reports.
- Assists library users in the process of locating library
materials and also gives directional information; interprets
library user questions, provides basic answers and makes
- Provides circulation, interlibrary loan and reserve desk
service; reviews department policy and procedures with the
library user to ensure that established guidelines are followed;
reviews and sorts overdue and fine notices; processes rush
requests for library material upon demand; handles problems with
patron requests and may refer difficult problems to a higher
- Assists faculty with course reserve requests and negotiates
related problems including copyright, referring complex problems
to a higher level.
- Maintains specialized files in a unit and department such as
the series authority file and copyright files.
- Performs complex copy cataloging of monographs and
reclassification for online and card catalog, occasionally in a
foreign language; creates and updates descriptive bibliographic
records; reviews records for catalog card production and
exportation to other online systems; coordinates maintenance of
card catalogs; verifies and establishes series and authority
records; receives library material and verifies receipt against
online and printed record; assigns backlog accession numbers.
- Provides clerical support, which may include researching and
selecting supply orders for unit and department, reporting and
resolving equipment problems and scheduling and billing for
library services; prepares gift and duplicate list.
- Prepares library materials for shipment and receives
returned material, ensuring accuracy; reviews and distributes
library material for the department; maintains loose-leaf
services; collects, prepares and processes library materials for
bindery; reviews damaged library material and determines basic
- Processes invoices for payment using university online
accounting system and corresponds with vendors to resolve
- Generates computer reports and performs data back up for
unit, department and library; prepares and verifies financial
report for department.
- Prepares specialized equipment for presentations and
- Monitors shifts of library material and ensures quality
control; organizes library material for shelving.
- Collects monies, negotiates fines and reconciles daily
accounts; monitors and maintains borrowing and overdue files;
screens candidates and enforces policies for library private
study rooms; coordinates the search process for all missing
library materials; locates uncataloged material for library
- Processes complex serial added publications; processes
claims for outstanding orders.
- Manages a library unit on evenings and weekends; serves as a
liaison with other departments; trains and coordinates the work
staff and monitors the work of student assistants; prepares
- Prepares and monitors student wage and supply budget.
- Ensures that proper procedures are followed to open and
close library buildings; resolves library user conflicts and
emergencies referring them to higher level staff, campus police
or other appropriate services as needed.
- Verifies interlibrary loan requests and locates holding
libraries through online and printed sources.
- Interprets and enforces library and university policy and
procedures; interacts with library users and refers to higher
level staff when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of cataloging rules, regulations and resources.
- Knowledge of library classification, subject headings and
- Knowledge of foreign language depending on area of
- Skill in the use of various reference sources.
- Skill in following directions accurately.
- Skill in the use of automated systems.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in coordinating the work activities of others.
years of college education AND one year related library experience;
OR, Three years related library experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Library Specialist Job Description